Friday, April 15, 2016

Thursday? Chickens doing work.

I'm sorry about yesterday, with schedule wonkyness I ended up forgetting that yesterday was Thursday until the evening. Lately the weather has been lovely, and this weekend is going to be thoroughly spring like, and that'll be nice. We may be able to get some good work done around the homestead. Now, of course, 70 degree temperatures during the day doesn't mean we aren't to planting season yet, patience is going to be the best thing for us. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be getting seeds started inside, and prepping beds outside.

Aside from illustrating the huge difference between the Lady of the House getting photos with her camera, and me with my phone, this actually does have a purpose. This is part of our garden bed preparation. Yes, those are chickens, no, it's not about poop. We use chickens to get our garden beds the initial stage of prepared. Chickens scratch up ground they are on very heavily which is why you don't want them in one place too often, or want them confined to a single place you are comfortable with being destroyed. That said, if you can direct the chicken behaviors, they can be useful. Especially with thatched over garden beds that I'd otherwise have to dig up and clean out. The easiest way to do this is simply to put their favorite foods there! I dumped some scratch out on the ground there, and they obliged me by doing most of the clearing work. Obviously I will still have to do some, but anything to save some hard work when I have plenty to do!.

This weekend I intend to see about getting more yard cleaning done, getting the indoor planting set up, and maybe getting some very very hearty seeds going outside. With a kid though one of the other things we're balancing is that in addition to our need to get things done, we also need to give him attention and time to experience the world. I think given that we also have Monday to get things done we should be able to get a reasonable amount done.

Hopefully Tuesday I'll be able to give some photos of a lot of the things done!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you ever read the newspaper comic "Arlo and Janis", but one of the current plot lines is about their granddaughter raising chickens for egg money (and the trials and tribulations therein). I know, normal people don't get newspapers, but it makes me think of you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it, but sounds like I should look it up.

      Delete
  2. My chickens are skilled workers as well! That pretty white leghorn you included in this post looks like three of my two-year old hens. When they take their dirt baths, they do an even more thorough job in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirt baths move a really impressive amount of dirt, fortunately our hens like dirt baths in already ruined areas.

      Delete