Thursday, May 30, 2013
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
As seems to be the refrain at the moment, a lot is going on right now. Less than last week due to the downpour over the weekend that kept me from working on the multiple outdoor projects.
Thursday, May 23, 2013
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
The seed swap on Saturday was an amazing event, and unfortunately we didn't get the photos of it we should have. We also made the mistake of not getting photos of all of the plants we brought home with us before we set to planting them. Above is just what we have left after a couple rounds of planting. But I figured I'd just give a whole garden update.
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Step one for building any hutch is the base, and that's the frame holding the wire. To minimize how much disgusting build up we end up with we attach the wire to the bottom of the floor rectangle. The first hutches we did this using staples, and for about 3 months this was fine. Since then we've moved on to small blocks of 2x4 waste nailed regularly around the bottom of the frame to hold the wire on. It works well, and while there is some give it isn't so much as to be a problem, and the wire doesn't pop off. Something I've learned from experience is don't drive any of the nails on the blocks holding the wire in fully until you have the whole bottom stretched and properly in place. Trying to pull things apart is more of a pain in the ass than it is to go around securing the screen.Unfortunately what we didn't get photos of is the attaching the various cross supports step of the process, which is a gigantic pain in the ass, and a big object lesson in measure twice, cut once. I remembered to do that for all of the more complex angled cuts for the verticals, but the photo Left shows where I didn't. You'll note the somewhat scattered layout of the pallet bits that are making up the second level. That is because I completely botched measuring the length the wood blocking off the nesting area needed to be, by exactly the width of the support structure. Fortunately I was able to find a place to put those errant bits of wood, but it definitely made me feel like a bit of an idiot. Sometimes the right thing to do is put down your tools, and walk away because you're just not paying enough attention. That's what I did with covering that shelf.
Speaking of the second level that's another set of photos that didn't come out. Unfortunately I was the one taking those instead of the Lady of the House and they were too dark to salvage for the blog. We will get more photos of that at another point, but the concept is a second level over the planned nesting area. You can get a good look at the inside of the nesting area Right. It is a narrow tunnel running the depth of the hutch with a narrow entrance up at the front. One of the things we've learned is that the private areas actually have a bit more space than the rabbits really want most of the time, so this is smaller, and is in concept designed to simulate a breeding tunnel. The design complication with that is, it's now too small for us to reasonably get in to check on the kits, especially without putting our faces right at "please chomp on my face" level for Twilight who this larger hutch is intended for. To compensate for that, I'm going to be putting a lift door to get into the nesting area on the facing side in the photo Right. Convenience is really important for us to keep in mind at all times when designing a hutch because we do have to make sure cleaning isn't so onerous that we don't have time to do it.
Left is a photo demonstrating why you should make damn sure you're not getting hideously warped lumber for your projects. Notice that the top of the back is nice and flush with the edge of the top 2x4, and notice how the bottom has a bit of pallet flush with the edge of the 2x4 so I could secure the board in place. I grabbed wood quickly at the lumber yard, and ended up with one good board and one bad. The good one is ending up being used for the door that people will be seeing, and the bad one is going on the back. It'll do fine, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it definitely bugged me as I was putting it on.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Today we don't really have a whole lot to talk about since I went through just about everything that happened over the weekend on Tuesday. Now that doesn't mean that there isn't anything to talk about, just that it isn't the current activities on the homestead. Instead, I'm going to talk about my opinion on Ag Gag laws and my feelings on the distance between people and their food.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Thursday, May 2, 2013
The babies are getting big, very big actually. Big enough that we should be moving them to a growing out hutch soon even if Twilight weren't going to be giving birth in a couple weeks. At 6.5 weeks old we are technically past the time that we can safely separate mom and babies, but we tend to like leaving them together until 8 weeks for socialization reasons.