Thursday, November 1, 2012
No Babies, and Blog Goals
So, we know what our homesteading goals are, but what are the blog goals? As we go in to winter there will be less active work going on with homesteading. I will be working on the designs for the chicken coop, and working on the studio in general. I need to figure out how to write about the planning process well, and in such a way that people won't be bored by what is going on!
We have had a bit over 7,000 views in the year and a bit we have been keeping the blog, and I think that's awesome. It means people find the information at least vaguely interesting. That said, I want to keep being interesting, informative, and useful. The whole point is to let people learn from our mistakes as we learn, and see our planning process. The first part we've been able to show, the second hasn't come up as much over the summer.
So here is my intention for the blog as winter comes in. I am going to be quite busy with work, but I will make sure to keep up my two a week post schedule. I am going to be trying to have solidly researched information for the blog. I will also just keep updates going on "This is where we stand, and this is what life is throwing at us" as the winter comes in. A few things I intend to have up over the winter once researched enough to be useful.
* Seed Saving, with individual posts on more complex parts of it.
* Plant Breeding.
* Different chicken litter methods (Yes, there are at least two).
* Predator discouragement to protect livestock without just killing the predators which is inefficient.
* Herbivore discouragement to protect our planned garden for next year and beyond.
* Clever uses for pallets and the bits taken from them.
* Planning the coop
* Planning for a root cellar. This will probably be a few posts because it's a tough project but important long term.
* Considerations around an outhouse regarding placement, health and safety, and simple things like comfort. Benefits and problems, etc.
Is there anything else we have been doing that people are interested in me writing more about, or giving more detail about? Let me know so I can keep people informed.
Thank you all for reading.