Thursday, January 12, 2012

Quick Hit: Why You Should Pay Attention To Your Injury

When the lady of the house first suggested this blog post I sort of scoffed at the idea of it being something relevant to Homesteading. As I've limped around and iced my knee this evening, it occurred to me that, as is often the case, she is right. In this case the post was inspired by the dog crashing into me and knocking me over so my knee hit the corner of a huge rock. That said, it's not the first time, nor will it be the last time that I get hurt in day to day life. So why am I focusing on paying attention when you are injured?

In short, if you don't, you're going to end up with permanent injuries. I speak from experience from having tried to push through a back injury and being nearly immobile for a long time, and the lady of the house has tendonitis from ignoring the pain as she was knitting. When we were working on cage preparation for some of our rats, the lady of the house and I both ended up with tendonitis flare ups for weeks that made school hard. The moral of the story, if you hurt yourself, treat it or you will make your life harder in the long run, and you may cause permanent injuries that prevent you from living the life you want to.

Now I'm not saying go to the hospital any time you are hurt. I'm saying know your bodies limits. You fall and bang up your knee, do what you can to keep the swelling down. Cuts, scrapes, bruises, all of these are part of life for a homesteader. Know basic first aid, and when you can just bandage it and go on, and when it's broken and it's time for professional help.

No comments:

Post a Comment